Care and Handling – Peonies
Please have someone available to receive and process the boxes on the delivery date.
Often showing little color, peonies can often become dehydrated and/or limp after transit. Don’t be alarmed! After following proper processing flowers and foliage will rejuvenate.
The Peony Buds may appear damaged and bruised, these are the outer guard petals that protect the flower and will not be noticeable when blooms open.
- Prepare the fresh flower solution in cold water.
- Re-cut about 1″ off stems and remove any foliage that is damaged or will be below the waterline when placed in solution.
- Place into solution and store in a cool area until you are ready to use them. (If you plan to use the peonies for a special event, follow steps #1 and #2. Then place peonies into solution at room temperature until they open to the desired stage. Store in solution in a cold place until you are ready to use them.
- Peonies vase life is usually between 5 – 10 days depending on variety, age, and treatment.
- Do not place peonies too tightly inside buckets, they require space to fully open. Flowers can stay in same solution for 5-6 days.
- Peonies are big drinkers! Watch solution and fill with fresh flower food solution when needed.
- Peonies should not be stored near food products (ethylene sensitive).
Flower Food Tip
You can also easily make your own flower food. Follow the steps below and you will give your flowers added shelf life. This homemade flower food mix can be used for all flowers.
- Pour clean fresh water in the container or vase of your choice.
- To prevent the water from developing bacteria, add 1-2 caps of household bleach to the water.
- For its nourishment, add 2 tablespoons of table sugar to the water.
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon or lime juice provides citric acid which also provides nourishment for your blooms.